Welcome to part two of my live blog.  If you missed part one, check it out here.


7:45am – I wake up because a cat is pawing at my face.  I guess it’s morning.  I can hear the furnace running, so this is a good sign.  Means I still have power.  Let’s see what it looks like outside.

Looking out the window, it’s hard to say what’s going on out there.

I mean, the firepit is gone and the large planter is almost MIA, but maybe it’s not that bad.

So I decided to take my trusty yardstick and go outside.

Shouldn't there be a step down here?
Shouldn’t there be a step down here?
And I know these are stairs.
14 inches. Yikes.
14 inches. Yay?

So we’re officially at 14 inches at my house and it’s still coming down pretty steadily.  it’s not super windy here, though there are occasional gusts.  Fingers crossed.

8:15am – Instances of cat barf cleaned: 1.

8:30am – I could only convince the cat to check out the front porch, where there’s about 4 inches of snow.  This furry little jerk tends to howl at the front door, demanding to go outside, so of course, I had to let him out in the snow.


10:45am – Crafts completed: 2  Tasks on to-do list completed: Less than 2.


11:15am – Having wasted away much of the morning, it’s time to hit the bike trainer and get in a workout.  Then lunch, then tackling the snow.

12:28pm – Power went out for about 30 seconds. Ominous.

1:30pm – Still have power.  Finished 90 minutes on the bike trainer and scarfed down some lunch.  Headed out to shovel.


2:30pm – Done with shoveling.  My whole body is exhausted.  And while I was out there, the snow picked up even more.  It is now super heavy conditions.  My shoveling may have been for naught.

Total inches so far – about 14.5.  Not much since this morning, but as I type, it’s certainly coming down.

3:15pm – Poor cold birdie.


4:35pm – Dammit.


And for comparison, one last photo of my backyard for the day.


5:15pm – Hot chocolate and vanilla vodka.  All my weight loss plans are going to hell this weekend.  Mmm…

6:30pm – I am exhausted.  And haven’t been up for 12 hours.  Blizzard life is hard.

7:30pm – Well, might as well continue the repair work on the damaged ceiling from 2+ years ago.  Time to spackle!


7:30am – I am awoken by one cat licking my hair and one cat meowing from downstairs for breakfast.  The blizzard is officially over, and I managed to get through it with power and internet.  Hooray!  Of course, today, I must attempt to dig out.


8:40am – The shoveling begins.


There is a sidewalk here.


9:40am – Look!  I found my car!

IMG_1771 IMG_1773

10:20am – DONE.  I’m not sure what the official snow total is.  My yardstick hits at 18 inches, but I have since learned that this is an improper way to measure snow, since it settles under the weight.  So… more than 18 inches, I guess.


10:40am – The internet tells me my area’s official total is 25 inches.

2:40pm – Got all the snow equipment cleaned up, had some lunch, considered starting my ten mile run.  Got .25 miles in and stopped.  Nap first. Then running.

5:00pm – Who am I kidding.  Today’s run isn’t happening.  Spent the afternoon on the couch being lazy, then went out to do another hour of shoveling and clear off a path to the trash can.  I won’t be going anywhere tomorrow.  I’ll be able to get it in then.

5:50pm – Office is officially closed tomorrow, so that means a day of telework for me.  As if this is any surprise.  Choir is also cancelled, so I have no need to leave my house.  I’m really going to struggle when I have to put on real pants again.

By Megan

3 thoughts on “Liveblogging the Blizzard of 2016 – Part 2”
  1. I’m thoroughly enjoying the live blogging! I recommend you add a link at the bottom of Friday’s post that goes to Saturday’s. I’ve been impatiently refreshing Friday’s post wondering when you were going to get up and start blogging again. Of course, I’m a bit of a dork.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

%d bloggers like this: