So I don’t know about you, but I have been leaning in to this “fat and jolly” season just a bit too much. My pants are feeling tight, and as much as I would like to blame the dryer, I’m pretty sure that isn’t the case. Right now, my big plan is to get back to meal planning and batch cooking. This is so much easier to do in the winter. Soups and stews are easy to make and they freeze well. I like being able to just pull a container out of the freezer and put it into the microwave for a quick meal.
One new recipe I have added to my list is Crock Pot Sweet Potato Chili, a recipe put out by Cigna. I love easy Chili recipes and I really appreciate that you can make this as spicy as you want. While I believe that spicy food should make you sweat and your lips burn, not everyone agrees with that.
- 2-3 sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped). Turns out to be around 3 ½ – 4 cups
- 3 cups broth (use less for more chili texture)
- 1 lb ground lean pork, beef, chicken, or turkey (see notes for using precooked meat)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz diced canned tomatoes (drained). You can use garlic or onion flavor canned if you like.
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2-3 cup chopped cauliflower (add as much or little as you’d like).
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 chipotles in adobo, chopped, found on Spanish or Mexican foods aisle or, ½ cup to 2/3 cup hot chipotle salsa may be substituted.
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 shallot (diced) or 1/4 cup red onion (optional)
- Herbs to garnish
- optional cheese toppings
1 First chop and peel your potatoes. Place in a microwave safe bowl and steam with 1 tbsp water in them for 90 seconds.
2 Next add your ground meat to the crock pot with broth and oil. (Other option is to brown meat beforehand so you do get as much grease in crock pot.)
3 Add your tomatoes, sweet potato, onion, cauliflower and mix all together.
4 Finally, add your seasonings and chipotle peppers with sauce.
5 Stir and cook on high for 3 to 4 hrs.
6 Add your shallots the last hour if you adding them.
7 Add more paprika and or black pepper and sea salt when finished cooking if desired.
8 Garnish with fresh herbs such as cilantro, or basil works well, too.